The diagnosis of an infant – usually as early as 12 to 18 months - often causes a crisis in the family: First, the dream of having a “normal” child is shattered. The literature recognizes that the entire family goes through a multi-stage process: Shock and mourning, denial, mixed feelings of anger, frustration, blame, anxiety and depression, and deep love and concern for the child and lastly, acceptance.
This process can create an additional crisis in the parents’ relationship. The parents, who are preoccupied 24/7 with the care of their child, might exchange blame for the difficult situation they are in and neglect their other children. Siblings also can experience difficult times, shame, neglect, and even depression.
The Family Centers attend to these problems and more through the following support services:
- A referral and information source for families
- Professional library
- 24/7 Hotline for emergencies
- Lectures on different issues in the realm of autism
- Support groups for parents and other family members discussing relevant issues
- Network of “parents for parents”
- Training professional in autism-treatment methods
- Supplement and support to facilitate communication with kindergartens and schools of the Israeli educational system, complimentary Para-medical treatments etc.
- Development of new services.
Alut operates 6 family centers throughout the country:
- Tel Aviv area
- Be’er Sheva
- Mobile center for the Arab Sector
Annual operating costs: $280,000
Upon your immigration/return to Israel we at ALUT are here at your disposal to assist you with any question or difficulty that may arise regarding the integration of your child in the most suitable educational Framework. It is true that there are and will be many difficulties, but ALUT will stand right by you and will assist you as much as it can